Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Welcome to Phuket Foodie's Blog (Phudie for short)

pad-thai-phuket
The ubiquitous 'Pad Thai' is said to be one of Thailand's more ancient recipes. It is the first thing I look for and get my hands on (or rather, chopsticks or fork on) when I land in the beautiful country.

I flew in 'budget' as usual, and looked for good deals for my stay. I've explored variety of options but I finally booked with this one. From Subarnabhumi airport in Bangkok, I took a short taxi ride to Sai Tai bus terminal to catch an overnight bus ride to Phuket. I ended up in one of the more touristy areas, the always lively Kata Beach, and ended up in relatively comfortable but inexpensive Kata Lucky Villa (yes, I'm obviously frugal).
phuket-kata-beach-restaurant
It's a short trip to Central Kata area where you would have an assortment of restaurants catering from Thai to Tex-Mex and Scandinavian.You'd see families and couples from all walks, and the night scene was engaging as well. Souvenirs abound plus of course my lovely Pad Thai.

Pad Thai noodles were supposed to have originated in the old capital of Ayuthaya and was re-discovered sometime in the late 1930's. One will not be surprised why it's so popular. With glorious helpings of shrimps or chicken, coriander, lime, bean sprouts, peanuts and many tasty Thai seasonings, it's the one-dish meal to die for (or foo-die for). Satisfying but light on the wallet, 50 baht on the average a pop (that's less than 2 USD).

Welcome to my Phuket. Welcome to my gastronomic journey. Join me in the Phuket Foodie blog as I try to show you around the island's and the country's wonderfully endless food offerings.

Let's eat, "Kin Khao' in Thai. Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment